System Administrator (U.S./Canada) @ MaxMind
Added Feb 28 from WFH.io
MaxMind is looking for a talented System Administrator to join us. We help protect thousands of companies worldwide from fraud, screening over two billion online transactions each year, and we provide IP intelligence data to thousands more. This work requires us to tackle formidable challenges and we want you to help.
The Position Overview
Do you have system administration, system engineering and communication skills and are ready to collaborate with us to build a great real-time fraud analysis and IP intelligence solution? Do you want to contribute to the improvements and delivery of a highly available, fault tolerant, and secure customer facing SaaS solution which can serve over 2 billion transactions per year? Will you be a collaborator with peers and Product to define and contribute to the overall development of complex features, and to the success of MaxMind software products?
As a MaxMind System Administrator, you will make a difference in defining broader architectural, design, and technical objectives of MaxMind, and achieving customer satisfaction by:
- Building performant and scalable SaaS solutions and the tools to maintain them
- Collaborating, mentoring and advising to others
- Enabling and extending complex system monitoring
- Identifying, triaging and resolving system issues
- Updating configuration management and deployments
- Offering ideas and suggestions to the improvement of the development tool
set, technical direction, and software architecture
- Researching changes in technologies, development environments, and tools
- Supporting on call after hours in rotation with other members of our team
- Experience as a System Administrator/DevOps Engineer/SRE for Highly Available SaaS solutions processing web traffic
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, TLS, and SMTP
- Experience building complex monitoring solutions to support identification of issues with High Availability
- Able to investigate and resolve issues with Linux performance and network latency/reachability
- Experience managing PostgreSQL, including streaming replication and backups
- Programming experience in Go or Perl. Our System Administration code is mostly Ansible and Perl, but we're happy to hear from you if more familiar with other programming languages or configuration management software
- Significant experience with Linux systems
- Experience with version control, preferably Git
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with logical and repeatable debugging and problem solving approaches
- Ready to learn new things
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate clearly with partners and end users
- Able to work with a geographically distributed team
Highly Desired (or excited to learn)
- Experience doing security audits, security compliance, or penetration testing
- Experience with: HAProxy configuration, Docker, Kubernetes, or other container tools, ELK/Elastic Stack, Cloudflare, and Open source technologies
- Experience with emerging cloud platforms and infrastructure tools, and moving services to a cloud platform
Our System Administration Practices
We use Linux, PostgreSQL, and Ansible to deliver our solution. We use a wide variety of tools to manage and monitor our systems, including Nagios, Sensu, Grafana, and the Elastic/ELK stack. All work goes through internal code review on GitHub Enterprise.
Our goal is to automate as much as possible. Our tools are written in Perl and Go. We also want to improve our coding practices for the sysadmin code we write, writing libraries and tests wherever possible instead of one-off scripts. We use Linux, PostgreSQL, and Ansible to deliver our solution.
Working at MaxMind
MaxMind is a casual, friendly, results-focused company of about 40+ employees. We are passionate about global health and development, as MaxMind and its founder gladly donate over 50% of corporate profits to charities (https://www.maxmind.com/en/corporate-giving). We maintain a set of core, overlapping hours, but are flexible with specific start and end times and are understanding about appointments and life events. Our software team is largely comprised of telecommuters, so communication centers around Google Meet, group chat, and agile planning tools.
Our salary range begins at $100,000 for Engineering hires and is negotiable depending on experience and everyone participates in a company performance-based bonus plan. MaxMind offers a $2,000 professional development budget and five days for professional development annually.
In addition to medical, dental, and vision coverage, we offer several other benefits in the US, including a 401k with employer contribution, FSA, paid parental leave and public transit reimbursement. Please inquire about benefits in Canada.
Diversity and Inclusion
We're committed to diversity and inclusion and are mindful of incorporating them into all aspects of our company. New ideas and perspectives come from diverse ways of seeing and thinking. MaxMind is sensitive to all individuals and viewpoints and believes everyone’s contributions and opinions are valuable assets to our team.
We hold regular diversity and inclusion meetings and conduct informative sessions on improving collaboration and communication. We value bringing individuals and different perspectives together within and across every department.
We encourage and sincerely welcome applications from candidates of color, women, queer candidates, candidates with family caregiving responsibilities, transgender candidates, and from other communities not well represented in the tech world.
If you have suggestions on how we may better promote or express our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we would love to hear from you. Please send your suggestions to email@example.com.
Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. We want to know about you, please share any software projects or accomplishments and include a link so we can learn more.
Note: We will consider you for MaxMind if you work from any state except NJ, NY, TX, and WA (for regulatory reasons) and from anywhere in Canada. We are open to relocation if that is an option for you. We require you to be eligible/authorized to work in USA or Canada.