Senior Applications Architect (Content Applications)
Added Mar 12 from StackOverflow Careers
Location: Remote within the US or Oakland, CA
We are seeking an Applications Architect who will lead a small team of developers to evolve the Content Applications (publishing, authoring, commenting, image library) from primarily a monolithic Rails application to a services-oriented architecture. This person will work closely with the System Architect of the Services team to realize the organization's goals.
Daily Kos is a great place to work-- your code will be used by hundreds of thousands of people a day who care deeply about progressive politics and are working to effect real political change. We provide an extensive feature set that extends from blogging to activism and beyond. If you want a job that offers more than just a technical challenge, we'd love to hear from you. Our organization’s commitment to personal growth reduces churn and encourages a rewarding long-term position. We have an energized team filled with great people with different backgrounds.
- We are seeking an independent, remote-work experienced technical leader who:
- can weigh tradeoffs of different application design decisions given requirements with team and organizational risk in mind and articulate this to Product Management to help them make informed choices (also have an appreciation for system architecture);
- can articulate the difference between CRUD-based and Event-based system architectures and their relative tradeoffs;
- has recent experience with growing the skills of a small development team as a mentor or people manager (must be interested in managing 3-6 developers);
- has on-call experience for applications they have delivered to production;
- has production experience maintaining, and evolving a Rails "majestic" monolith into a service-oriented design.
The above list is a set of highly desired attributes; we will evaluate each candidate as a whole. Tell us about unique skills, experiences, and attributes that you can bring to such a role that we may be missing and why it would be a benefit to the organization.
Daily Kos is the nation's largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, we’re transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape politics.
Daily Kos offers competitive salary, excellent benefits including generous time off along with paid maternity/paternity/family leave, employer paid medical insurance for employees, and a flexible work environment. You need to pick up your kids from school? No problem. You like to work out in the middle of the day? No problem. The office is conveniently located in Oakland, CA, close to BART. People love working here, and tend to stay for a long time. We have a great space filled with great people, and the atmosphere is energized by the day's news events and our common cause.
At Daily Kos, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We're a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees. This position will be located remotely or in our Oakland, CA office.