World-Class System Administrator - telecommuting opportunity (U.S./Canada)
Added Sep 21 from GolangProjects
MaxMind (www.maxmind.com) is looking for a talented and world-class System Administrator/Network Administrator to join us. We help protect thousands of companies worldwide from fraud, screening over a billion online transactions each year, and we provide IP intelligence data to thousands more. This work requires us to tackle formidable challenges and we want you to help.
The Position Overview
Do you have system administration, engineering, and communication skills and are ready to collaborate with us to build a great real-time fraud analysis and IP intelligence solution?
Do you want to contribute to the improvements and delivery of a highly available, fault tolerant, and secure customer facing SaaS solution which can serve over 2 billion transactions per year? Will you be a collaborator with peers and Product to define and contribute to the overall development of complex features, and to the success of MaxMind software products?
As a MaxMind System Administrator, you will utilize the best from DevOps and SRE methodologies to make a difference in defining broader architectural, design, and technical objectives of MaxMind, and achieving customer satisfaction by:
- Building performant and scalable SaaS solutions and the tools to maintain them
- Collaborating, mentoring,and advising to others
- Offering ideas and suggestions to the improvement of the development tool set, technical direction, and software
- Identifying, triaging, and resolving system issues
- Researching changes in technologies, development environments, and tools
- Enabling and extending complex system monitoring
- Updating configuration management and deployments
- Supporting on call after hours in rotation with other members of the team
Skills & requirements
- Experience as a System Administrator and/or DevOps Engineer and/or Site Reliability Engineer for Highly
Available SaaS solutions processing web traffic
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, TLS, and SMTP
- Experience building complex monitoring solutions to support identification of issues with high availability
- Able to investigate and resolve issues with Linux performance and network latency/reachability
- Experience managing PostgreSQL, including streaming replication and backups
- Programming experience in Go or Perl. Our System Administration code is mostly Ansible and Perl, but we're
happy to hear from you if more familiar with other programming languages or configuration management
- Significant experience with Linux systems
- Experience with version control, preferably Git
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with logical and repeatable debugging and problem solving
- Ready to learn new things
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate clearly with partners and end users
- Able to work with a geographically distributed team
Highly Desired (or excited to learn)
- Experience doing security audits, security compliance, or penetration testing
- Experience with
- HAProxy configuration
- Docker, Kubernetes, or other container tools
- ELK/Elastic Stack
- Open source technologies
- Experience with emerging cloud platforms and infrastructure tools, and moving services to a cloud platform
Our System Administration Practices
Our System Administrators are members of our Engineering team, working together to deliver to our customers’ success. At MaxMind, we are committed to security and the contributions of our System Administrators are integral to our work. To learn more about our commitment to security, visit https://www.maxmind.com/en/company/commitment-to-security. We have built a culture of peers, with highly developed practices and processes to work together remotely. To learn more about working at MaxMind, visit https://www.maxmind.com/en/company/working-at-maxmind.
We use Linux, PostgreSQL, and Ansible to deliver our solution. We use a wide variety of tools to manage and monitor our systems, including Nagios, Sensu, Grafana, and the Elastic/ELK stack. All work goes through internal code review on GitHub Enterprise.
Our goal is to automate as much as possible. Our tools are written in Perl and Go. We also want to improve our coding practices for the sysadmin code we write, writing libraries and tests wherever possible instead of one-off scripts.