Administrative Support Specialist
Added Oct 01 from Hubstaff
The Carpentries is an open global community teaching the skills and perspectives to turn data into knowledge. We build capacity in essential data and computational skills for conducting efficient, open, and reproducible research. Through our mission, we are committed to “training and fostering an active, inclusive, diverse community of learners and instructors who promote and model the importance of software and data in research.” We believe in a world where more people have the computational skills and perspectives to work with data to address their questions in science, scholarship and society. We aim to build that world by scaling evidence-based teaching, creating inclusive environments, and building communities of practice based on open principles.
Come join our global, mission-driven, organization. You’ll be part of a diverse and engaged team of professionals working to spread data-driven research skills around the world. You will play a critical role by helping coordinate workshops that teach computational thinking and data skills globally, and ensure the financial sustainability of the organization.
We are seeking a full-time Administrative Support Specialist to work with our Business Administrator and Workshop Administrator. You will process payments for memberships and workshops, produce financial reports, and record financial and workshop data. You will also assist with organizing workshops and will communicate with members and hosts as needed.
This position will be responsible for:
* Sending out invoices for workshops and memberships
* Following up on overdue invoices
* Recording membership data
* Recording financial data
* Recording workshop data
* Generating regular financial reports
* Communicating with our fiscal sponsor and clients to ensure that legal terms of agreements are satisfactory
* Liaising between our fiscal sponsor and collaborating organizations to ensure procedures and practices are followed
* Completing vendor registration paperwork as needed
* Communicating with our fiscal sponsor regarding finances
* Assembling and mailing swag packages to stakeholders
* Arranging travel for staff and community members as needed
* Excellent communication skills
* Customer-service orientation
* Ability to complete administrative tasks with minimal supervision
* Attention to detail
* Excellent time management skills
* Interact with and maintain information across multiple platforms
* Able to work virtually with a distributed team
* Experience working with QuickBooks
* Familiarity with one or more of the following: Git, GitHub, R, Python, SQL
* Experience working with a volunteer community
* Experience in a customer-service role
* Cross cultural experience and background would be beneficial
This is a remote position and will be paid by our 501(c)3 fiscal sponsor, Community Initiatives. Compensation will be negotiated commensurate with experience.
The Carpentries is dedicated to providing a welcoming and supportive environment for all people, regardless of background or identity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship, nationality, ethnic or social origin, pregnancy, familial status, veteran status, religion or belief, age, education, or socio-economic status. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
We’re a staff team of ten, with a nine person Executive Council. We’re a fiscally sponsored project of the 501(c)3 Community Initiatives. We have a large community of instructors and contributors, and a much larger community of users. We use evidence based teaching practices to teach the core skills for effective computational and data work, and we promote reproducible research and open science/open source widely.
Application review will begin October 18, 2018 UTC 06:00\. This position will remain open until filled.